October is the month to carve pumpkins, pick out Halloween costumes, and curl up with some scary movies. But there’s something even scarier than ghouls or vampires—cyberattacks—and all the garlic in the world can’t protect you from a cybersecurity attack. For that reason, October isn’t just about celebrating Halloween; it’s also about learning and implementing cybersecurity best practices. And in the spirit of cybersecurity awareness month, Onepath has compiled a Master List of our best cybersecurity articles.
If you want tips for avoiding a breach, check out our list. And if you need articles about recovering from a breach, we have those, too. From MFA to SSO and cybersecurity training, learn about the technology and best practices that can protect your company from serious risks down the line. And check back daily for more links from our vault (and entirely new articles about cybersecurity maturity, specific threats, and more!).
You can’t increase your cybersecurity posture without first having a sound foundation. Here are some cybersecurity essentials, including standard terminology.
- Essential Terms about Cybersecurity: https://1path.com/blog/cybersecurity/essential-terms-for-cybersecurity-culture/
- 3 Cybervillain Motivations: https://1path.com/blog/cybersecurity/3-cybervillain-motivations-and-how-to-heroically-stop-them/
- Onepath CTO Presents at UPS Capital on Cybersecurity: https://1path.com/blog/onepath-news/onepath-cto-presents-on-cybersecurity-at-ups-capital/
Ways to Avoid a Breach
Preventing a breach entirely is always the goal. That’s why the following articles focus on ways to fortify your organization and protect your information. From email best practices to workplace security, these articles focus on active measures you can take to be cyber-secure.
- MFA, SSO, and Security Awareness Training: https://1path.com/blog/how-to-fortify-your-data/
- Workplace Security: https://1path.com/blog/workplace-security-and-protecting-your-office-data/
- Cybersecurity for SMBs: https://1path.com/blog/how-smbs-win-the-cybersecurity-war/
- Test How Prepared You Are Against a Cybersecurity Attempt: https://1path.com/blog/onepath-launches-cybersecurity-self-assessment-tool
- Education is Key: Foiling Vishing Attacks with Chris Silvers: https://1path.com/blog/cybersecurity/education-foiling-vishing/
- 6 Tips on How to Avoid Ransomware Attacks: https://1path.com/blog/cybersecurity/avoid-ransomware-attacks/
Recovering from a Breach
Sometimes, something as simple as clicking the wrong link or letting the wrong person into your building can result in a breach. While this situation is never ideal, a quick, targeted response can mitigate damage and restore information. The following articles tackle ways to respond to cybersecurity breaches.
- How to Respond Post-Cybersecurity Breach: https://1path.com/blog/cyberattack-response/
- Why Responding Quickly to a Breach is Crucial: https://1path.com/blog/cybersecurity-responding-quickly-to-data-breach/
- You’ve Been Hacked: Six Steps on the Road to Recovery: https://1path.com/blog/cybersecurity/hacked-road-to-recovery/
- 5 Warning Signs that Your Computer’s Infected: https://1path.com/blog/cybersecurity/5-signs-computers-infected/
Business continuity plans can protect your business after all kinds of disruptions, including cybersecurity attacks. By having a timeline and knowing what to prioritize, you can save your business time and money while better protecting your assets.
- How to Create a Strong Business Continuity Plan: https://1path.com/blog/how-to-create-a-strong-business-continuity-plan/
- The Best Business Continuity Plan is When Nothing Happens Post-Breach: https://1path.com/blog/the-best-business-continuity-plan-is-when-nothing-happens/
- Business Continuity: What Is the 3-2-1 Rule in IT? https://1path.com/blog/3-2-1-rule/
- What does Ineffective Business Continuity Cost: https://1path.com/blog/what-does-ineffective-business-continuity-cost/
- RPO and RTO Differences: https://1path.com/blog/rpo-and-rto-differences/
- Business Continuity Planning: Testing Your BCP Regularly: https://1path.com/blog/business-continuity-planning-testing-your-bcp-regularly/
- What Business Continuity Plans Lack: https://1path.com/blog/what-business-continuity-plans-lack/
- 6 Reasons Why Paying Ransomware Isn’t the Best Decision: https://1path.com/blog/cybersecurity/paying-ransomware-bad-decision/
Cyber insurance can’t stop a breach, but it can help protect assets in the unfortunate event that one transpires. There’s no standardized version of cyber insurance, so make sure you’re familiar with the different options and what they provide.
- Why You Need Cyber Insurance Immediately: https://1path.com/blog/why-you-need-cyber-insurance-right-now/
- What You Need to Know About Cyber and Legal Insurance: https://1path.com/blog/cyber-insurance-and-legal-coverage/
- The Experts Discuss Cyberinsurance: https://1path.com/news/boston-fireside-chat-cyberinsurance/
Compliance Issues and Cybersecurity
Different fields have different compliance concerns, but ultimately, cybersecurity culture can help your business stay safe. From HIPPA to PCI DSS, here’s what you need to know about staying compliant.
- HIPAA and the Wall of Shame: https://1path.com/blog/cybersecurity/permanent-records-hipaa-compliance-and-the-wall-of-shame/
- Credit Cards and PCI DSS Compliance: https://1path.com/blog/cybersecurity/a-credit-to-security-pci-dss-compliance/
- One for the Law Books: Legal/Cross Sector Compliance: https://1path.com/blog/cybersecurity/one-for-the-law-books-legal-cross-sector-compliance/
A truly safe company is constantly reevaluating its security posture. These companies understand that cybersecurity is a leadership issue, and they make cybersecurity a part of their culture.
- Cybersecurity and Leadership Culture: https://1path.com/blog/cybersecurity-culture/
- Webinar: How to Win Employees and Influence Security Culture: https://1path.com/webinars/influence-security-culture/
The holidays have some unique cybersecurity risks. If you’re about to hit an important date, now’s the time to brush up on fundamental components of cybersecurity awareness.
- 3 Safety Warnings about Your Brand-New Black Friday Tech: https://1path.com/blog/cybersecurity/protect-black-friday-tech/
- Are You on Santa’s Cybersecurity Nice List, or Naughty? https://1path.com/blog/cybersecurity/santa-nice-naughty-cybersecurity/
The survivors at the end of a horror movie usually know a thing or two about fighting monsters. Sure, some of them last thanks to dumb luck or plot armor, but the majority need to learn how to kill a zombie or exorcise a ghost. Similarly, you can’t stop a cybersecurity threat without being well-informed. So, consider this your monster manual to fighting cybersecurity attacks. And remember to check back frequently for more new articles!